There are many situations when a computer user needs to get information about installed hard drive. This can be done in various ways including operating systems, using third-party applications and many others. Windows operating systems provide all the necessary tools to obtain various information about the hard disk.
A hard disk (HDD) is a familiar box inside which there are round magnetized plates. They store information and redheads that read this information. The spindles in this device spin the discs up to several thousand revolutions per minute. The most common speeds are 5400 and 7200 rpm. The data recovery option of the HDD device can provide a sigh of relief if any accidental damages occur. The procedure is usually performed by the professional of the data recovery team.
In the following guide, we explain some basic tips for identifying which hard drive your system has!
How to Determine Which Hard Disk Your System Contains?
The Device Manager application displays a list of all devices built into the motherboard and externally connected to the computer, including hard drives. With the help of this system program, you can quickly find out the model of the installed hard drive. This will subsequently allow you to get more detailed information about it:
- To launch Device Manager, right-click on the “My Computer” or “This Computer” icon and select “Properties”. In the upper left corner of the window that opens, find and click on the “Device Manager” item.
- A list with different categories of devices will be displayed on the screen. Go to the “Disk devices” section and open it up.
- After the last step, the model names of the hard drives connected to the computer will be displayed on the screen.
Computer Management System Application
Using the “Computer Management” system application, you can’t only determine the name of the hard drive but also its total volume, the number and the name of partitions.
- Open “Control Panel” from the “Start” menu.
- Go to the subsection “System and Security”, click on the item “Administration”.
- A new window will open with a list of system utilities. Find among them and launch the “Computer Management” application.
- Another window will open. On the left side of it, open the “Storage” section, click on the “Disk Management” item.
- At the bottom of the window, the numbers of hard disks (“Disk 0”, “Disk 1”, “Disk 2”, etc.) and the partitions on it’ll be presented. The image above shows information about two hard drives.
- To find out the model of the presented hard disk, you need to right-click on its name in the system, select “Properties”. A small window will open. The “General” tab will display the model name of the selected hard drive.
In some situations, it’s impossible to determine the model of the hard drive using the two previous methods. This usually occurs when there are viruses on the computer or when some system services are disabled that are responsible for the operation of these applications. In such cases, the Windows command line can help:
- To open the Windows console, press the “Win + R” keys at the same time, type “cmd” into the window and press “Enter”.
- Then enter the command “wmic” into the console window, press the enter key.
- Re-enter in the command line – “diskdrive list brief”, press “Enter”. Now, a small list will be displayed:
- In the column “Caption” you can find out the name of the models of hard drives.
On the Internet, you can find a lot of applications that allow you to get a variety of information about hard drives, including such data about it, which is difficult or even impossible to obtain using the operating system.
Figuring out which hard drive your system contains might be quite challenging. However, you can now successfully find the answer to your question. We mentioned some effective tips that will help in collecting as much information about your hard drive. In case, if you want to know about the hard drive size, you can simply run the System Information tool. This tool provides more detailed information about hard drives.
Maybe your existing hard drive has failed and wants to replace it with some useful device? It’s time to call our professionals to get the recovery and support services. CBL Tech will help in extracting the information and store it in a safe place. So, contact our experienced technicians to ensure – is hard drive data recovery can apply to your device?