Do you know the success of top companies in the prestigious list of Global Fortune 500 lies in their storage strategy? What do you interpret from this statement? Data storage plays a critical role in the success of a firm, and trust us, not only the large scale enterprises but the small enterprises as well. Think this way: you don’t want to build your new office or factory on a weak foundation. The foundation should be rock-solid, secure, and must consist of the most reliable components. And, the same is true for data storage. Trust us; the foundation of your business is data storage. How you maximize and optimize your ocean of data plays a critical role in the success of your business.
But, the question is, is it worth diverting your resources on secure data storage models? To answer this question, let’s take a real-life example of the effect of loss of data on the company’s health. AMAG is a pharmaceutical company in Boston that suffered from data loss problems because of the data sync problem within Google Drive. The result was loss of productivity and time within the firm. But, due to the availability of effective data storage solutions, the company was able to recover their data before the situation became worse. From this example, the need for investing in secure data storage solutions is evident. Investing in data solutions is a long term investment that will provide a higher rate of return in the long term. Owing to the importance of data storage solutions, there are new trends that are shaping the data storage industry. The latest trends in data storage are forcing companies to revisit how they store valuable data and applications. And, when we talk about new data storage trends, it goes beyond the Cloud technology. So, without any further ado, let’s dive into the latest data storage trends that you are going to see everywhere in 2020.
- Data accessibility and storage security: Trust us; the demand for secure storage of data has never been so critical. If you think you can use the traditional data storage solutions, you are in for a rude shock. At present, firms can’t rely on ineffective conventional storage solutions for storing mission-critical information. So, if you are storing your data in the mainframe systems, you need to shift towards the more secure data storage solutions. Since most of the applications are spread across sprawling networks that comprise multiple vendors and hardware configurations. In such a situation, a small error in data storage will result in the loss of millions of dollars and, more importantly, damage to business reputation.
To avoid such situations, firms should invest in encryption and firewall technology that complies with the standard data security norms. With the firewall technology, firms no longer have to worry about the integrity of their data. At the same time, firms have to meet the constant pressure of providing data-centric services to customers in real-time. And, to do so, firms can rely on data centers. Using the latest data storage technology and partnering with the data centers will help firms in meeting the needs of customers and creating a mark for themselves in the global front.
- Artificial intelligence is the future: When we talk about future data storage solutions, finding artificial intelligence in them is not a big surprise. The future is going to revolve around artificial intelligence, and the same is true for data storage. At present, there are numerous data storage options available to firms. Now, which one to choose will depend on the data storage need. With the multiple types of collocated hardware storage devices like hard drives and software data solutions like Cloud technology, firms can quickly spread their data and applications across various locations within their network infrastructure. But, with the additional storage, you have to bear the burden of conducting software testing and development, which can become overwhelming. This is the main reason why firms are looking for the newest trends in data storage. This is where machine learning can come to the rescue of firms. With Artificial intelligence, it will become easy for firms to respond to the growing need for secure and optimal storage solutions. With AI and machine learning, firms will know where the data is present when you move it, and how the constant shifting will impact bandwidth and storage capacity costs.
- What you need is the higher capacity disk drives: Are you surprised to find the hard disk in the list of futuristic data storage trends? Although solid-state drives are fast, secure, and affordable, HDDs are not going down without a fight. With constant research, new technologies have been developed that focus on removing the physical limitations of traditional disk drives. The new disk drives are fast, cheaper, and more reliable. Many Cloud data centers are using helium-based drives to reduce drag and turbulence on disks. The result is the increase in data storage performance. Two latest developments in conventional hard drives are the introduction of shingled magnetic recording drives and heat-assisted recording drives. As far as the shingled magnetic recording drives are concerned, it can store more data by reducing the space between tracks. On the other hand, shingled magnetic recording drives use lasers or microwaves to attain higher density when it comes to writing data to the disk. Both the technologies are giving a tough fight to solid-state drives. One reason why business prefers the high capacity disk drives over SDDs is that the former is cost-effective than the latter.
- Automate the storage process: Are you thinking of starting your digital transformation journey? If so, you have to bring storage automation across the board. And this not only applies to the storage professionals but developers and other job functions as well. To ensure everyone is on the right platform, give training and knowledge across the length and breadth of the company about how to backup and optimize the workload. For example, there can be a need to spin up a new container without calling the IT department. And, to do so, there must be complete integration with the coming APIs, automation, and self-service. All this is essential for creating a truly digital business.
- Next on the list is storage based processing: At present, firms are turning to edge-computing architecture to increase flexibility and reduce latency. Smart storage strategies have become popular as they help firms in combing virtual techniques and machine learning with the vast array of virtual machines. By doing so, firms will be able to transfer and process hundreds of terabytes of data in a hassle-free manner across the entire network. Another advantage is the reduction in latency for big data applications and compliance with the bandwidth requirements on both networks and data centers. With machine learning techniques, moving data across the network will significantly reduce, increasing performance.
- Adopt the all-flash and NVMe storage systems: If you think all-flash storage systems have reached their peak growth, it’s time to think again. The all-flash storage systems are going to witness a rapid growth owing to the latest upgradations in the storage system. In the future, all the primary storage workloads will use flash storage. The reason being the decrease in the price of the flash systems and an increase in performance. Another storage trend that you are going to see in 2020 is the use of NVMe. The new storage protocol is going to expand within the storage industry as the high-performance protocol. With this new protocol, firms will get secured support for more applications, workloads, and use cases across the IR infrastructure.
- Rack Scale Design: Are you looking for a streamlined and simplified data storage system? If so, the rack-scale design is what you can opt for. But what is RSD? In the RSD technology, we combine the storage, memory, and compute capacity of every individual rack in a cabinet together with an interconnection. After establishing the connection, you can configure these resources with the virtual server to create a private cloud environment. And, if you want to connect different hardware types and configurations, new virtualization software is what you need. Also, the latest generation of PCle interconnects is the storage trend that is taking the data storage industry by storm. They offer higher bandwidth connections between virtualized resources, increasing performance.
Over the past few years, we have seen leaps and bounds of improvements in the data storage trends. With the introduction of new storage trends, it becomes challenging for firms to choose the one that is the right fit for their business. One thing you must understand is that when it comes to storing data, there is no one size fits all solution. Hence, to fulfill the storage needs, firms must identify which storage trend is apt for your business.